Monday, January 4, 2016

THE HAUNTING PAST MYSTERY OF THE CITY

THE HAUNTING PAST: MYSTERY OF THE CITY After departing the case, of the White House threats, Mr. Brown had requested that "Because you are in the general area, where the initial report was made, I would appreciate it if the two of you would make a quick summary, of if this, latest, case is worth expending resources on". According to the case-file, which Mr. Brown had forwarded, to Ghost Ship One, the case involved some Victorian-style homes, which were built remarkably close to some bluff's, which overlooked a bay. Homes, whose residents were reporting both audio, and visual, hauntings. By the time Tami and I had agreed to visit, and had arrrived, on location, Tami had seen enough hoaxes, on previous cases, that she had become as expert, in identifying interior hoaxes, as I was becoming an "expert", at recognizing environmental, or exterior, hoaxes. As a result, four, of the five homes, Tami and I visited, Tami found interior evidence, of a kind which home -owners would never consider looking for. Trip-wires, motion-sensors, and even a few laser emitters. While Tami was exposing the interior, fake, hauntings, (which Tami came to believe were installed while the home-owners were away, since the home-owners were shocked to learn of the discoveries), I was "busy", waiting for the tides to reach the low tide point (The point at which, if I were correct, should leave the cliff face, below the houses, exposed to air, and wind currents.) When the tide "went out", and I found some ancient caves, in the cliff face, upon entry, it was not long before I found the source, of the reported "moans", and "cries", which home-owners had reported. The "moans" which, according to the reports, only came at certain times, had been suspicious, to both Tami and I. Ofcourse, I had suspected hidden speakers, but only until Tami suggested checking moon, and tidal, data. This is when, with a comparison made, Tami and I had noticed that the moon, and tidal, data, suspiciously, matched the "moan" data. Tami had suggested "Could this not mean that, perhaps, at low tide, that some ancient caves, beneath the cliff's, are exposed, and that the sounds originate within the caves?" I had to agree "Since we are here, we might as well check out all possibilities. After all, we ARE "on the clock". That is what I LOVED, about being "On the clock". Being "on the clock" meant that all expenditures were on our expense account. This included all meals, and so on. When I entered the water-logged, moist, and dripping, caves, at low tide, it was not long before I found a primary source, for many of the "moans". The sounds were being produced by age-old bottles, which appearred, to me, to be made of either leaded, or hand-blown, glass. When I handled just two of the bottles, I noticed how different levels, of sea water, caused different sounds, to eminate, from each bottle. As I rotated the bottles out of the wind current, even I noticed how the pitch, of the sounds changed, due to how much air was flowing past the mouth, of the bottles. When I examined the area, around the bottles, I found water-logged wood shavings, and rusted metal. Since previous cases had required an increasing level, of historical knowledge, and Tami and I were spending more, and more, of our "free time", studying up, collecting data, on how tasks were accomplished, in the past, I realized that wood shavings, in a cave, must mean that the wood came from a container. Possibly the one which had carried the bottles, so many years ago. As for the rusted metal, that would have been what was left over, when the wood rotted away, and the iron hinges fell to the ground. Carbon-Dating would, no-doubt, confirm this, so I took a few samples. As for the occassional "shrieks", which owners reported, from time to time, these proved to be wind-generated, as well. I would notice that, when the wind gusted, and compressed, inside the caves, and was "pumped up", via small openings, in the rock strata, the "shrieks" were the result of the wind gusts, as air was forced past sharp, and jagged, rocks. Rocks, which looked so sharp that one could get cut just LOOKING at the rocks. When I returned, to Tami, and the home-owner, with proof, of my evidence, this is, in fact, the only time when a "real" spirit made an appearance. It would seem that a widows great-great-grand-father was NOT pleased with the womans decision, of whom she would marry, next. When the grand-fathers spirit came forward, denouncing the potential "suitor", as a fraud, the widow had promised "Grand-father, I will PROVE he is no fraud". This is when, since his own grand-daughter would not listen to him, the spirit shared his information with Tami. For her part, the only part, of the conversation, which "spooked" Tami was when the spirit used the same words which the Enforcer demon had used. "Yes, you are, both, well-known, to the spirit world. This is why I have come to you. Your reputation has, clearly, proceeded you". After the "discussion", Tami and I returned to Ghost Ship One, where Tami did another, of her internet searches, then we waited for the suitors next visit. On the suitors next visit, Tami had given the widow all of the information, which the woman needed, to trap the man. Information such as how cleverly the man had "hidden" the fact that he had a wife, and children, already, and that he was wanted, in seven states, for not only Bigamy, but, also for tricking women into joined access to accounts. Information on how the man had abused this access, agreeing to pay bills, yet taking much larger amounts of money, and sending it off, to distant locations. Was his wife involved? That question remained under investigation, as the police were, still, tracing his "accounting". When, on his next visit, the "suitor" asked the widow "HOW could you have, possibly, known such things?" and the woman said "Grandpa told me", When the suitor said "But, you said he was dead", the widow would say "HE is, however, he spoke to my friend". When the suitor ask "WHAT friend?" The widow called Tami forth, saying "Tami is great at doing research. Even better than I, it seems". When Tami showed the man her replacement credentials (The psychiatric center was, still, juggling the issue of whether staff had returned Tami's belongings, to the agency, and that the goods were "lost in transit", versus the psuychiatric centers insistence that the goods NOT be returned, to the agency, until Tami was, safely, locked away, "forever".) This was the ONLY reason why Tami was, currently, using her THIRD set, of equipment, phone, and credentials. Still, when the "suitor" saw Tami's Brown Agency badge, both Tami, and the widow, loved seeing the look, on the mans face, knowing that he had been discovered, before he beat a hasty retreat. After the con-man was gone, the widows father returned to the ladies presense, promising the widow "You will find the right man. I promise you that". As for the occassional "moans", and "shrieks", I demonstrated how these were created, inside the caves, below the house. After Tami filed our report, on the widow, it seems that this confirmed the thoughts, of local police, who decided to review other newcomers, to the area. It would turn out that, between opportunistic con-men, and greedy relatives, all of whom had planned to fake "haunts", in order to drive residents away from homes, to allow "thieves" un-restricted access, to goods, the police would arrest more than a dozen con-artists. As Tami and I were preparing Ghost Ship One, for take-off, the widows ancestor appearred, on-board our plane, and said "I want to thank you, both, again, for helping my grand-daughter to avoid the biggest mistake of her life." When Tami reminded the man "You know, people DO get lonely, at times. They want company, and comfort. Things which money can, never, buy". When the spirit would say "Trust me, I KNOW about loneliness. Dont you think that spirits get lonely as well?" Tami would admit "Honestly, I never thought about that." The man was polite as he said "Being a spirit is just as boring as being retired is. Mortals HYPE up how "grand" retirement is, and how lovely the after-life is, but dont let that fool you. Spirits get lonely too". When Tami asked "Is that one of the reasons why spirits haunt locations? Because they miss the company, of others?" For a moment, the spirit seemed baffled, then he said "You should know better than that. We only haunt to PROTECT. That, and to watch over our families." When Tami asked "Does that mean that you will move on, then?" The man would say "Once I know that my angel is in the "right hands", I will leave her to her happiness." When the man added "Again, I thank you for aiding my grand-daughter". The spirit then did a classic dissolve, and Tami and I returned to packing. Tami was locking her belongings away, this time, since she KNEW what yet ANOTHER, psychological review would be like. Tami was determined that the state was NOT going to steal another $25,000 worth of the Brown Agencies equipment, if she could prevent it. She would leave her equipment under lock-and-key, aboard Ghost Ship One, until the latest "enhanced interrogation" was completed. Our pilots were just about to announce that the plane was ready for lift-off, when Mr. Brown sent the "hold up" signal, then contacted us, via conference call. When he came on the monitor, Mr. Brown would say "We have a report that "another" sunken city may have been located". When Tami would ask "Whats so odd, about that?" Tami knew, even as I did, from news reports, that universities were excavating no less than seven, such, cities. Cities which were either buried, or were underwater, during high tide. According to reports, though, most of these "villages" were of little value, having been constructed of local stone, and whose only "REAL" value, was of historical interest. This is when Mr. Brown would say "This city, or settlement, whatever it is, is reported to be "different" When Tami asked "How so?" Mr. Brown would say "According to rumors, the walls, and buildings, are covered in gold, and jewels. For this reason, the agency has been contracted to send a team to evaluate the site". "The instructions are to "Visit the site, and confirm, or DENY, claims, of gold, and jewels. All BEFORE the media gets winds of the find, and turns it into a circus". When Tami asked "Just for the record, how do we proceed, in the event that we do discover valuable materials?" Mr. Brown would say "Official report, to the local mayor, as well as police chief. Ofcourse, this comes AFTER a full report, to this agency". Once the e-mail arrived, at the planes "protected" server, Tami and I would spend the rest of the cruise consuming rations, while reviewing yet "ANOTHER" series, of legends. In this case, atleast SOME legends claimed that an incredibly advanced race had surveyed Earth (Again, LONG before the birth of Jesus Christ, as well as before the writing of the Christian Bible). The claim was that the aliens selected a landing site, which was conveniently located within a valley. Legend says that the aliens sought this place, since it was surrounded by five mountain peaks. The mountains would be used as look-outs, and to station defense troops. Where various legends conflicted was on the issue of whether the site had been a science station, or administration center, or (as local police feared) a military training compound. Modern police were attempting to restrict public access, to the site (even though it was underwater). This since stories persisted that the aliens had left behind stores, of weapons, for future use. Weapons far too advanced for earths current inhabitants to protect the general public against. One of the MAJOR problems, which Tami and I, had, with the report, was the total lack of agreement, even on the size, and shape, of the place. Some reports claimed that the place was tall, and thin, and that the top "Reached for Heaven, itself". Tami was first to say "I think we can discard that story since the place we are looking for is underwater, while this story describes a place which sounds atleast as tall as the World Trade Center, Pre September 11th, 2001." After a LONG evening, of reviewing legends, and lore, Tami and I sacked out, for what SHOULD have been a quiet nights rest. In my case, though, I was prepared for another nightmare, since I THOUGHT I felt the presense, of the demon, of memory, in my compartment (Or was I just imagining it?). What I remember, of the dream, was envisioning myself, back in the 1970's, in a very low grade/quality tract, of low-income housing, and with my in-laws looking at ME, (Not my 1970's self), and saying "You are NOT one of US. You are "JUST" an "in-law". Spoken like the extended family considered my birth family, STILL, to be lower than "trash"." What I could not figure out was HOW, if this were a "memory", HOW could anyone interract with my modern day self? I mean, it really seemed so real. I could even see myself going about my childhood ways, just off in the distance. When I decided to challenge this "image", asking "HOW are we here?" My in-laws, spitefully, said "THAT does NOT matter. You have to learn that OUR family is vastly SUPERIOR to you low-lifes, and we have decided that your punishment, for even considering that you are "equal" to us is to LEAVE you here, in the past, where you will be trapped, and live out of our life, for-EVER!" It was just as my in-laws were turning to leave that, in the "dream", "Mother Superior", appearred onto the scene, asking "What crime has this man committed, to be left in this place?" When my in-laws would say "Thinking that "THEIR" "FAMILY" is, in any way, equal to OURS!" All of these words said with pure acid. When "Mother Superior" would comment "So, you did NOT learn your lesson, after all". All that my in-laws would say was "OUR family is SUPERIOR, to "them", in everyway that counts." This is when my coven in-law made the mistake of launching some kind of energy-based "attack", on "Mother Superior". The young woman held out her hand, and something shot, from the hand, hitting "Mother Superior", and knocking her on her ghostly rear. When "Mother Superior" stood up, saying "That one was free. Anymore?" My in-law would "fire", again, this time, at me, saying "Die, cretin!" The family stood there, in shock, while I tried to figure out why no one, around us, even noticed the gathering, or the action. If this were just a dream, then WHY could I not use my proven technique, to pull myself OUT of the dream? The idea of just reminding myself that this was, all, just a dream. When "Mother Superior" blocked the attack, with ease, then just flicked her wrist, sending my coven in-law hurting over 100 feet away, to crash into a pile, of bumps and bruises, my in-laws naturally asked "How DARE you!" All that "Mother Superior" would say was "I know all about your actions, from over the years. If this attack does not cease, immediately, and permanently, then I know of someone, who will delight in your acquaintance". My arrogant in-laws might have been about to challenge "Mother Superior", again, except that a group, of demons, materialized, in the "dream", and "Mother Superior" gave my in-laws a choice. "HALT ALL attacks, now, and permanently, or Lucifer would be happy to take ALL of you into his "care"". Realizing that they were defeated, by the immortal powers, my in-laws images dissolved, from the vision/dream, and this is when I asked "Mother Superior" "Where am I?" When the nun said "It is a dream world. NOT Purgatory, nor another realm. It is the place which humans call Creativity. This is the source of all inventiveness." When I asked "How do I return to the real world?" "Mother Superior" would say "Now that the spell have been cancelled out, you may leave at any time. However, while we are here, I was wondering if you would show me around, a bit". When I agreed, I did not realize that this mode, of "rest" was not considered "R.E.M.". I just proceeded to show the nun portions of my past, starting with the rental unit, then, for some reason, moving BACK, to the 1960's. When I asked "WHY do you want to see my childhood?" The nun would, cryptically, say "I would like to know about your background." When I reminded her that it was not a "pretty" sight, she asked me to show her, and tell her, WHY I had done certain things, even AFTER being told NOT to do them. I did, multiple times, remind the nun "I told you. I was not an angel." All that the nun would say was "My son, no child is an "angel". VERY true. After reviewing my less-than-stellar childhood memories, Mother Superior decided to take me on another "tour". One which included my not-so-terrrible moments. Mother Superior decided to show me such things as the day, when I learned to ride a bicycle, the day I learned about "Hide-and-Seek", and the days when I visited friends. Mother Superior also showed me how annoyed my sisters had been when, during childhood, while they were aiding our mother, with housekeeping, that I was off, with my friends. Mother Superior then made a half-hearted attempt, at stifling a laugh, when my sisters decided that, during my very early chilhood, that, if I could crawl, I could walk, just because my sisters said so. Mother Superior even showed how my mother had smiled, at her daughters trying to get their brother to walk, just by saying "Walk". The girls just did not understand that walking had to be taught. The nun then showed me the vision, in the homes attic. The one which had scared a young man, so badly, that he ran from the house, promising never to return. It seems that a spirit, which was searching for assistance, in reaching the "other side", had approached the boy, in the attic, thinking that the boy was "one of us", since he was inside the home. When the boy saw the ghostly apparition, before him, though, he had fled, thinking that the spirit was coming, to take the boy to the spirit world. Mother Superior then showed me more humorous times, during my youth, including my playing with various toys. To my surprise, by morning, I had been made aware of many moments, which I had, completely, forgotten, since childhood. The only problem was that I awoke feeling even more tired than I had, at bed time. Now that I was no-longer six, or seven, years old, I just did not have the excess energy, which children have. And, yes, "maturity" comes at a PRICE. Thankfully, both Mother Superior, and my in-laws, did not "invade" my dreams, over the next several nights, and this was a good thing. After all, on this site, investigation work would not just be on dry land. Mr. Brown had arranged for a local diver to instruct Tami and I on diving safety. Ofcourse, Tami was first to ask "Why cant we just watch the monitors, from the surface?" The dive-master would respond "There is nothing like actually being ON-site". The good news was that almost all of the divers, on-site, had full, helmet, communications. The only hand signals, which would be needed, would be if divers were in distress. I would have preferred to have been able to say that I was thankful that the site was in shallow water, and did not require decompression stops, but that would not be honest. Although most of the site seemed to be buried, in the lake bottom, this, still, meant diving down, to the top. I was the first to wonder just HOW we would make contact, IF a spirit wanted to talk, underwater. Well, the GOOD news is that we did, indeed, find several, submerged, buildings. The teams Archeologists, also, verified that the buildings were substantial, and that only the top levels had chambers, which were above water, now. The best that anyone could come up with, for the reason why the place was submerged, was that, in the time, since the sites construction, Earth movements had, slowly, sunk the place, until it was in a hole. Annual rains did the rest. When Tami asked how LONG it had taken to sink the place, the scientists would only say that such things happened, FAST, or slow. After all, volcanoes are known to LEVEL entire continents. The one, solid, FACT, which Tami could report, to all concerned parties, was the fact that this place held NO gold, or jewels. It was just quaried stone, and some type of metal, similar to stainless steel. About the only amazing thing, about the place, was that there were several spaces, where the stone-work was so precise that, even under water, the spaces, within the complex, were bone-dry. Personally, I just wish that the person, who suggested pumping the place dry, had thought of that BEFORE Tami and I had to take diving classes. When the water was pumped away, though, and the silt began to run-off, from the buildings, none of us was prepared for what we found. Not only did we find carvings, all over the entrances, but we, also, found what appearred to be human sacrifices. People, staked to crosses, like an offering. When Tami asked "WHY?" A scientist would remind her "In the days of ancient myths, and superstition, it was quite common for human sacrifices to be thought helpful, in appeasing the gods. These people were killed, as an offering, to the gods, in the hope of saying this place from the gods anger". i.e.: From sinking When someone quipped "Didn't work very well, did it?" The scientist would say "The process was, hardly, ever, effective. Still, the people were not educated, so they believed what they were told." When I looked at the carvings and asked "Is this a language?" A scientist would say "More than likely. We just need time for a translation". As for Tami and I, Mr. Brown had another job, for us, now that the site was confirmed as purely Archeological, with no treasure, which looters would want. Tami and I did, however, promise to check in, later, and find out how things were going. As for us, Tami and I were off, to ANOTHER "haunted" house. This time, one, allegedly, owned by a former gun-maker, and whose descendants claimed that people, killed with weapons the company manufactured, were vowing revenge on the family. Tami would, ofcourse, inquire about the Winchester House. A nationally known, haunted, house. The secretary would promise "This is NOT about the Winchester House. That place has been studied, and verified. This would appear to be a rivals home. A company which, at one time, could have produced some of the first Gatling guns. Now, they produce automatic, hand-weapons, including a version of the AK-47." When Tami would ask "What do they want, with us?" The secretary would say "It is reported that various family members are being threatened, by "unknown" voices. The family wants the agency to discover if this is just a prank, or if someone wants revenge, for what someone ELSE did, with a company-produced weapon". By the time Tami and I arrived, on-site, some "angel", with a "really funky" name, appearred, to us, saying "Mother Superior sent me. She has a message for you". This, the "man" said as he made his wings dissolve, into thin air. When Tami asked "Whats the message?" the man said "Seek out the Spirit Board. Here, you will find truth". When Tami asked "Spirit Board?" I reminded her of the classic television series "Charmed", and that those Wiccans called a Oui-Ja board by the same name. When I asked the man "Just what could a kids game have to do with the haunting?" With this, the mans wings re-appearred, and he said "I have delivered the message. The rest is your task." With that, he soared away. Ofcourse, Tami and I knew the old rumors, and legends, about Oui-Ja boards being "portals", from other realms. In fact, Tami's own family had, once, rented a modern-day horror movie, based upon the concept, of Oui-Ja, yet had not finished the movie, since the Christian family had decided that the movie had too much offensive language, gore, and sex, for their liking. Still, I reminded Tami that Hollywood does NOT produce many movies, based upon factual material. Movies, such as "Witch Board", were written, and produced, based upon the scariest, and most graphic, stories, and rumors, available. I had no doubt that the boards, used in the movie, would have been nothing more than card-board cut-outs. Still, Tami wondered "What if someone is using a VERSION, of the concept?" I suggested "Then, we find it, and shut it down". Once I encouraged Tami to cast aside any mis-conceptions, about the board game, I asked her to go on-line, and learn just how many versions, of Oui-Ja, which existed. (I figured maybe a couple of dozen, factory versions, and a few dozen, personal, versions). Well, the search-term "Oui-Ja" alone, brought up over 200 images, while, adding the term "real", added several hundred more images. If the internet were accurate, many, of the "real" boards were not made of cardboard, at all. Unlike the factory-produced board-game, the "real" Oui-Ja boards seemed to be carved, primarily from dead tree trunks. It seems that sections, of the tree trunks, were sliced, into discs, then some sort of ancient chemical mixture was spread, over the disc, like a paste, and allowed to dry. When the mixture was wiped away, the "disc" surface would be left bright enough to write on. Then came the weird part. Some stories said that cattle blood was used, while other stories said that virgin, human, blood, was used, to write on the disc. Problem was that Tami found NO supporting evidence, for either story, anywhere. Whatever the true source, of the "ink", the characters would be written, once the color dried, into the wood, the surface was, then, sealed. Ofcourse, the same "sources", which claimed that blood was used, also claimed that chanting was involved. A few, of these stories even claimed that those, making the discs, had to be nude, during the process. (Tami and I LOVED the fact that things like this were reported, but NEVER confirmed. Besides, what difference would it make if a board maker was clothed, or not?) About the only "supporting evidence", for the blood use theory, came from an on-line "witch doctor". A person, who claimed that, using either the blood, of a living child, OR (and heres the laugh) the blood, of a beautiful woman (But, undeer WHOSE definition, of beauty?). The blood allegedlly gave "power" to the disc. If the blood was "pure", the disc could, possibly, open portals, to another realm. Tami rolled her eyes as she said "That sounds just as stupid as it would sound, if I suggested you could open a portal, just by having sex, with a Latina woman". I agreed. What I found hilarious, about the "witch doctors" final message, to us, was when the "doctor" asked if Tami might like some "dark meat". Tami just typed "No, thank you. Goodbye". Wehn we entered the home, Tami and I had to wonder if these people were Roman-Catholic. If true, then WHAT were they doing, in the weapons business? Our "clues", to their "religion", were based upon all of the Catholic decorations, which were present, in the home. Personally, I would have expected an arms dealer to have display cases, full of saples, of the company's products. What I did not expect to find were Cricifixes, saintly statues, and religious plaques, decorating the house. While I performed my visual sweep, Tami began her interviews, and I listened in, via wireless. From what I heard, it seems that the family was "falling back", on religion, for comfort, from what members were calling "demon voices". Voices which promised sloow, painful, deaths, to all members of the gun-makers family. What caught our attention, though, was when the owners wife said the family members would be allowed only one chance, at redemption. That was that the family sell off EVERYTHING, which they owned, and turn over everey single penny, to a previously unknown "victims of gun violence" fund. Only once this was done would the family be safe. When Tami suggested "Sounds more like extortion, than a haunting, to me" I whisppered "I agree". After hearing the womans tale, Tami asked about any childrens board games. When the woman said "Young woman, you must not know your own generation. My children do not play any games, not involved with the computers. In fact, of ots not electronic, my children will not touch it". When Tami asked about possiblle presents, the woman said "Nothing has been received", then the woman remembered "Now, I come to think of it, there was a package, left, by an unknown party". When Tami asked "Does it resemble any of these?", Tami showed the woman some pictures, of what such a disc MIGHT resemble. Tami then showed the woman our current list, of KNOWN, designs. When the woman scrolled down the list, and selected one, of the "real" discs, then said "The package, which was delivered. The contents resembled that one, except for the fact that the lettering was red, not black." When Tami asked "May I see the disc, please?" the woman went to retrieve it, only to inform Tami "Its GONE!" As the ladies then searched the public room, I entered one of the daughters rooms (mostly since the majority, of known "witches", are supposed to be female. A cliche? Yes. But worth noting). It was not, however, until I entered a second daughters bedroom, where I not only found the disc, but also a male spirit, who seemed to be staring at the disc. Not menacingly. More like pondeering, or wondering. As the spirit stared at the disc, though, the disc began to glow and then, right before my own eyes, another spirit, again a male, seemed to rise from the surface of the disc. When I inquired, of the spirit, if he understiid what was happening, all the man did was say "I wish to be on my way, to my home, and my beloved family". His words registered with such truth, to me, that I was certain that neither he, nor the newly-arrived, spirit, understood what was happening, to them. When the families children arrived, from school, most, of the children told Tami that they thought the disc was "silly". It was simply a parlor trick, especially the way the thing seemed to glow, when asked questions. It was not until Tami asked the children how LONG the disc had been glowing, that we learned that the oldest daughter, who was in the rebellious stage, of her teens, had said some strange words, over the disc. Since the girl had said the words, the disc glowed, whenever the game was played. While the family went to dinner, Tami and I took the piece, of wood, to our plane, and had the "ink" anallyzed. Just as we suspected, what the mother thought was just red ink was, in fact, human blood. According to the computers, though, the vicitm had been dead, for a very LONG time. Proof of this was a complete lack of "artificial immunizations", such as vaccinations, against childhood diseases. Since the blood shoed no signs, of what woulld be considered "normal", for a child's blood (The very FIRST thing we jhad wanted to rule OUT), we settled our search on the content of adult blood. This is when the readings began to make sense. The blood contained readings, of various plants, and herbs. Products which, in sufficient quantity, proved that the user had been a practicing Wiccan. Probably, for a great many years, due to the amounts, present, in the blood. After this, we got "knocked for a loop", when the skin cells, left behind, while the disc was being created, and the computer verified three substances, NOT used by "white magic". Tami and I were left scratching our heads, over all of this, when "Mother Superior" appearred, saying that she had arranged a meeting, and asked if Tami and I wanted to meet an ascended, Wiccan, priestess. When Tami and I agreed, a woman, with the grace, ane bearing, of the finest queen, out of egend, appearred, saying "I have become aware that you have made inquiries, of a nature in which I may be of some assistance". When Tami and I cleared a space, before the computer monitor, for the regal woman, even I was impressed at how rapidly the woman identified the ingredients. As the priestess would explain "All Wiccans are knowledgeable of these ingredients. In small doses, they are harmless seasonings. In slightly larger doses, they provide relief, from various types of pain. Some even remove illness, from the human body." When Tami asked "What about in THESE dosages?" The priestess would say "This is dark magic. This person wanted power, and control, over forces, which no mortal can hope to control. When Tami asked "What does this have to do with the disc?" The priestess cast another of those "Mists of truth", and we watched as the woman, in the vision, cut her own arms, enough to provide her an ample supply of her own blood. Once the vision woman had enough of the liquid, she bandaged her arms, then took in hand a quill pen, dipped it in her own blood, and chanted over the disc, as she created the pattern. As the blood dried, the vision woman waved her bandaged hands, over the disc, creating a "seal", with which to protect the surface. The most baffling part, of the "mist", was how the colonial, or pioneer, "witch" could, possibly, have known what address, and date, to deliver the package to. Especially at a time when most of what would become the United States, was, still forrests, indian country, and the thirteen colonies were just beginning to branch out. Despite these odd's, the message had been clear. Delliver the package to THIS house, and on the date contained within the message. When Tami asked the priestess just HOW the disc had been activated, the priestess would say "Simple enough. The dark witch placed the spell on the "winds of time". The message was "told" to seek out a "rebel", and it floated through time until it found both the disc, and the rebel teen. When asked HOW to shut the disc down, the priestess would consult "Mother Superior", as to how many souls had passed through the portal. When "Mother Superior" would state how many, So FAR, the priestess would inform Tami and I "You have your task before you. The portal may not be collapsed until the souls have been permitted to return whence they came." When Tami said "Fine, we can do that. But, HOW do we shut the disc DOWN?" Using a trick, which only immortals are capable of, the priestess touched Tami's forehead, then said "When the timing is correct, the knowledge will be available". Now, the "trick" was for Tami to do her thing, building a "rapor", with the on-site spirits, and guiding them back to "Paradise". This while I had the "wonderful job", of "guarding" the disc (To prevent other spirits from being summoned, even by accident). This precaution was taken since the daughter, who had "called forth" the discs power, remained insistent that the words she had used were nonsense. The girl cllaimed she did not even remember what the words had been. Via conference call, though, Mr. Brown, and Mr. Blue, had agreed with Tami and I. Better to be safe, than sorry. Tami was just in the process of drawing the spirits out, and had sent five, on their way, so far, to return to their "place of rest", when the next call came through. The agency was receiving reports that, at the sunken city, someone, dressed in indian clothing, was attacking the sites crw. The reports said that one of the main problems was that no one understood what the figure was saying, yet everyone understood when the figure began bashing some workers, with a staff. There were, even, allegations that the figure was hurtling something, at workers. Something which burned, and dis-figured, the workers. Tami and I were ordered to place the gun manufacturers home on "HOLD", and return to the sunken city. Before departing, though, Tami made a point of promising the family, and the spirits, that we would return, as soon as possible. (Personal note: If there is one thing Tami and I, both, hated, in our line of work, it was "jumping from one site to another", and back again). In fact, by the time we returned to the now-drained waterway, local police had a man in custody. Whoever had hired the "actor" had done their "home-work", since the man was dressed, authentically, just as his height was correct, as was his muscle tone. Had this man lived centuries ago, no doubt, he would have fit right in, with the inhabitants, of the city. When questioned, about his motives, though, the man would say that he was HIRED, to wear the costume, and appear, at the site. When asked about the bags, which he had thrown at workers, he insisted "That was PART of the role. If I saw someone "getting too close", I was to throw a bag at them". When the police asked "Didn't you even KNOW what was IN the bags?" The man said "I am an actor. I take roles, when offered. I dont ask who is bank-rolling, or what things do." While the police might have been satisfied, withh their "capture", Tami and I wondered about the situation. After all, the city had been underwater, for so long. WHAT could anyone WANT with it, now? Also, WHY bother to hire an actor, to pose as an ancient person? What was the point? The only fault Tami and I found, with local law enforcement, was how QUIICK thhey were, to remove patrols, once the actor was in custody. This, despite the fact that the Archeologists remained on-site. Not much of a site, but a site, nonetheless. When Tami made our report, to the Brown Agency, she left plenty of room for doubt. Doubt about the reason why anyone would BOTHER with such a place. No, the actor had been hired, to frighten people away, from the site. This meant that there was something IN, or UNDER, the site. Something which SOMEONE did not wannt ANYONE to see. Although the Archeologists had some very ROUGH translations, there was general agreement thhat the translations were filled with either whimsy, or "poetic license". After all, the stories, of "Chariots, which fly across the sky", is as old, and well-known, as the birth of Christ. Almost every nation had such stories, yet there was, almost, no proof, to confirm such notions. This is why so little "stock" was placed into the possibility that this was some sort of "space port". University, maybe. Administration center? There were some surviving documents, to support this idea. Mostly very ancient land surveys. The idea, of a military training center, went "Out the window", just as fast as the rumors, of gold. Simple fact was that this place was not set up, like a training ground. Too many remains, of fountains., for one thing. Too many statues, for another thing. Tami and I felt that we were "close", when we came upon a "door", whose alloy we could not identify. It was some sort of metal, but even our metalurgist could not identify it. We would have tried digging it out, however, a team member said they thought they had something, in one of the surviving walll paintings. When the man adjusted certain sections, of the walls, turning stones, in various shapes, it will sound weird, but the "door" slid out of the way, as though on hydraulic hinges. Just as the door was opening, though, it seems the "resident boogey man" made another appearannce, right behind us. He was dressed as the actor was, though he seemed to have even MORE of a military BEARING, to him. I just would have given a YEARS worth of pay, to understand whhat the man was saying. Then something else happened. Another worker, coming into the work area, passed right through the "man", while asking "What are you all staring at?" When we pointed at the image, the worker turned around, asking "WHERE did HE come from?" The image made some more statements, then pointed at the entrance/exit, as if to say "GO!". Oddly enough, the man did not vanish, as they do, in the movies. This man stood his ground until we left the area. Once outside the complex, we turned back, as the "man" said something, then rammed his staff at the ground, and the area shook. When we returned to the tents, and were asked "Who was that?" by other witnesses, along with "I thought they arrested the man who was scaring us" Tami would be first to say "Apparently not." Then looked back at the buildings, saying "WHO-ever, or WHAT-ever, he is, he does NOT want anyone inside that place. I have to wonder WHY?" Although the police accepted our report, and even checked the grounds, no one was surprised when, this time, NO one was found. Wehn we returned to the chamber, two days later, to see what was beyond the "door", we weree a bit surprised to find that the door was back in place. When an intern suggested that the "man" had done it, one of the lead Archeologists would suggest "More likely, it is on a reset mechanism". When the interm would say "But thats a modern day invention. HOW could these people have known about that?" The Archeologist just sighed. Since our "guest spook" had not attacked, yet, we moved the "door" aside, again, and, when the "man" showed up, with his "warning", an Archeologist would tell the "spook", "If you are going to haunt us, atleast do it, in English". To our astonishment, the spirit seemed baffled, by our language. Although we were not exactly sure of what we EXPECTED to see, beyond the door, we just were not prepared for what would happen. For one thing, lighting the passages became evr so simple, since these, interior, walls were some kind of surface, similar to marble. Even our hand-held lights lit up the interior, like the sun. Then came the interior chamber. Although we were a bit disappointed not to find super-computers, or Starfleet-style displays, what we did find was a combination altar, and casket. Under a display, of what looked like modern glass, lay a mummy, surrounded by what looked like a viewing rail. Both, on the rail, and the surrounding walls, of the room, we found drawings, which COULD have been ships, and what MIGHT have been defense turrets, anchored high in the towers. It was not until our spirit man appraoched the altar, and placed a "hand", on a round protrusion, which began to glow. Then, as though coming into focus, the now-solid looking man would say "That is better". When an intern would ask "Better than what?" The man said "So, now you can understand me." When the intern said "So what?" The man would say "It has been so very long, since my great sleep began. This planet has changed, so much." When an Archeologist would ask "Were you a Great Chief, or something?" The man smiled as he said "No, not a great anything. I was only the base commander. My job was security." When an intern would ask "Then, WHy the whacky clothes?" The man would say "You trying wearing the same uniform, year in, and year out, for decades, and see how long YOUR clothing lasts." then he added "Some native women made me this outfit, after my uniform fell to rags." When asked "Why did you stay behind?" The man would say "The fleet was to return for me, in short order. We just hhad soo many specimens, and so much collected material. Someone had to stay behhind. I decided it would be me". When asked "When was your fleet due to return?" The man would say "Long before yours, or other, civilizations, rose. I can only assume that the fleet was called away.. Still, I had supplies, and I was accumulating back pay" When asked "When, and WHY, was your city submerged?" The man would say "I am not certain, but I think it was a few centurries, maybe a few thousand years, after my great sleep began." When asked "Why do you remain?" The man would say "I am the security chief. I may not leave my post, until relieved. That is part of off-world training." When asked "Was this place ever a military training center?" The man would say "After the great sleep began, I did receive "visitors", and some of them did have weapons. The weapons of their day. There was nothing I could do, about their presence, not being alive, and all." When asked "What happened to your "visitors"?" The man would say "In time, each group left, for other places. I never kept track. I just stood guard as best I could." When asked "Do youy expect your fleet to return, eventually?" The man would ask "Why? This planet is no-longer ours. We have no control. No reason for them to return. I just watch over the place since I have nothing else to do". When "Mother Superior" resolved into herself, inside the "room", and asked the man "Would you like to return to your people?" The man would say "What? As a spirit, among the living?" Mother Superior would say "No, to return home, and be with those who went before." When the man asked "Is that possible?' Mother Superior would say "I have a few "connections"." The man then took the nun's hand, and the two of them dissolved into thin air. That night, while we were resting, both in the camp, and aboard the plane, a shriek, of pure terror, sounded, from the sky, all around us. The sound woke up the entire camp. With a mighty clap, of thunder, though, and what we thought might have been a growl, the night became peaceful. Come morning, though, Mother Superior would pay us another visit, saying she figured we would be curious, about the scream, and the thunder. In her short-form version, Mother Superior would say that my in-laws had made one, final, aborted, effort, at cutting all family connections. The problem was that the coven member still did not understand the ways of magic, and their mis-casting had interrupted Lucifers activities. (A very BAD thing to do, in ANY event). The thunder-clap would be the result of evils "pay-back", for the mortal interruption. My in-laws would, never, consider bothering me, again. Not now that they had the remains, of one of their own, to deal with. When Tami asked "I thought that neither Heaven, nor Hell, was allowed to intervene, unless called upon, by mortals?" Mother Superior would say "Normally correct, however, had the spell gone any further, the results, for BOTH sides, would have been a disaster, which would have made Noah's flood seem like a light, spring, drizzle. This is the ONLY reason why Hades intervened. Balance MUST be maintained. Now, it shall be" Personally, I could care, LESS, how much my in-laws hated my family. To them, we were nothing but gutter-trash, since the 1970's. Why should things change, now? I had my "hobby", my friend, Tami, and our base ship, nicknamed Ghost Ship One. We had our cases, and our benefits, as well as "room and board", and travel. What did I care what my "superior" in-laws thought of me? When Tami and I returned to the gun-makers home, we found that a few more spirits hhad "slipped through" the portal, mostly by accident. Most of these spirits, though, wanted nothing more than to be gone. Sending them back was easy. The spirits, which were not so easy, to cross over, were the ones who believed that, bbecause their lives had been "less than righteous", that they were heading straight to Hell. They were afraid to leave. Tami would have to call in Mother Superior, purposely, to aid these spirits. Although it irritated Tami, to be called "My child", by the nun, Tami said nothing, since there was work to be done. (Personally, I think that Tami hated being referred to as "child", since, for years, she had been treated like a child, even though she was a full grown adult. Still, that is the way the "system" is, with "potential suicides".) The strangest part, of the final ritual, to "shut down" the gate, was that, even as Mother Superior provided the chant, to seal the barrier, everyone present, mortal and immortal, was shocked when, as the chant progressed, the image, of a wailing woman, emerged, from the disc, with a scream of terror so terrifying that I do believe that it would have scared even maximum security prisoners. The woman seemed to be caught, half in, and half out, of the disc. When Tami asked Mother Superior, all the nun would say was "Focus, my child". With a final shriek, which would pierce any ones eardrums, the wailing woman slid back into the surface, of the disc. After Mother Superior said some kind of prayer, over the disc, the Enforcer demon appearred, and Mother Superior would say "Your master knows what to do with this" The Enforcer would say "All is prepared.", then take the disc, and dissolve, into thin air. Mother Superior would say "The deal was made. Since Heaven deals only with the best parts, of humanity, Hades has agreed to deal with this. They are, after all, masters of all things, evil" Tami would say "That really does make sense". As we were packing up the plane, again, wondering what our next job would be, Tami received a message, which stated that her greatest adversary, on the psychiatric review panel, had recently, died of a heart attack. Not too surprising considering that his diet was not ten percent as healthy as ours was. Now, the review panel was willing to be more cooperative, about Tami's "condition". There would be no more "interrogations", or "exams", unless her health showed reason for such action. Tami would no-sooner be relieved to receive this information, when Mr. Brown would contact us, via conference call. "Tami, I hate to do this, to you, but we have a report which says that your adversary is not just dead, but he has become a ghost, haunting the house, where he lived. His family has evacuated, and is requesting that you, and your partner, head over, and see if you can get RID of the man." When Tami would remind Mr. Brown "We are NOT Ghost Busters. We are investigators." Mr. Brown would say "True enough, but your contacts, in the spirit world, seem to be just what this family is looking for". As I would remind Tami "The good news is, my in-laws are OFF our backs, permanently. This means that we can concentrate on our work, again." Tami would say "Swell, not just another ghost, to help pass over, but that (deleted) of all people. Will this never end?" I told her "Once we get rid of him, we can focus on our work. Besides, if we were not on this case, what else would you be doing?" Tami just wasn't sure WHAT she would be doing, now that she was, no-longer drugged up. Personally, I did not know, either. Oh, well, duty calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment