Monday, December 21, 2020

THROWN OUT

THROWN OUT! That is what happened to my neighbor. They had spent months boasting of how the only money, they paid the landlord, was the deposit, and first months rent. Both of which were supplied by "other interested parties". What I do know is that my neighbor openly boasted of never having paid rent. In fact, had it not been for the virus, and the moratorium, they would have been kicked out, months before. Another neighbor even had video cam footage of the fact that, after the local water source, cut the persons water off, for non-payment, that my neighbor broke into the line, and re-activated the water. No one was for certain who, or IF, the electric bill was being paid. What we do know is that, with the moratorium coming to an end, and landlords waiting in line, to file evictions, while Congress argued the merits of evicting people, whose jobs the feds had closed down, My neighbor just sat back, and drank some more beer. They really thought that, at the last moment, another moratorium would be at hand. Boy! Were they wrong. ON Monday, December 28th, 2020, Congress still could not resolve its differences. This because Republicans INSISTED upon massive protections, for businesses, while Democrats said that stimulus payments were more important. If anyone can believe it, Congress stayed, in full session, right through Christmas. This because someone had suggested that one side, or the other, was planning to pass a bill, while the others were celebrating Christmas Eve, and Day. Then, come monday, December 28th, the "ax" fell. Without a new moratorium, evictions would pile high, as landlords sought to evict not those who were only job-less, due to the virus, but those whose rent had been far overdue, for months before the virus. Since the police knew that my neighbor had powerful animals, who were trained to attack, aminal control was called in, with tranquilizer darts. When the idiot set the animals on attack, animal control "took them down", with as many as three darts per animal. After this, the fool came out, on the attack. If they had been calmer, they would have had extra days to be ready to move. Attacking the police did nothing but buy my neighbor a ride in a police cruiser. His "partner" would be served the notice. With rent nearly a year overdue, there would be no negotiation. My neighbor was going first to jail, then to court, and then... As I recall, it was Tuesday, December 29th when the truck came by, and dropped off a dumpster. This, we, remaining tenants, would fill with the violators belongings. I just think that they should have PLANNED for this day, as I had, when transferred from my last place. The reason why my move went so well was because I had spent WEEKS, preparing for my move. I had so much stuff all boxed, and labelled, that the movers knew what was what, just by looking. My move took about 25% of the time that other peoples moves took. This is why the packing, of my neighbors belongings, took so long. Nothing was packed, or ready. This is why, instead of a moving van, we received a 30 yard dumpster. With this, a large group, of us, would clear out the unit, with myself covering final sweeping. It would take eighteen hours, to clear the place out, but the mess the person left behind was beyond belief. Walls had been torn out, and the interior so altered that it barely looked habitable. After the dumpster was removed, then came the lock-smith. New locks were installed. While I was not there, for the sentencing, I was not amazed, at all, when word reached me saying that the tenant had gotten so profane, with the court, that the judge added two years, to the sentence. NO early release would be allowed. After the hearing, the idiot even tried to ask the landlord for their stuff back. It was when the landlord said "Try the city dump", that the person understood how much trouble they were in. Not only were they homeless, but their "big plan", to hold a New Years Eve "blow-out", was in ruins. Now, they would have to find another way to earn money. For us, however, this would have been good news, since it meant NO loudspeakers, blasting the neighborhood. No booze flowing, and no one doing anything un-decent in the yard. Like my now-deceased friend would say "If they paid their bills, they would not be in trouble." I agreed, since rent was the very first bill I paid, each month. TheONLY reason why the sentence was not carried out was because the violator was "protected" by a Non-Prosecution Order" Based upon my neighbors supposedly long criminal, history, it would take plenty of "promises", to land them another place. There was even talk of them being placed BACK under a payee. Someone who would make SURE bills were paid. One thing I knew about this kind of people. As long as they had payee's, all was well. The problem was that, once credit was reviewed, too often the people went OFF of payee's, then ended up right back in trouble. Now, it was my ex-neighbors turn. What I do know is that, when the evicted unit was inspected, by a general contractor, the repair bill would be between $30,000, and $50,000. When I got curious and asked "Just for reference, how much just to gut the place, and turn it into a walkway." The contractor would say "That would cost maybe $3,000, to $5,000." Dont ask me why the landlord went with the more expensive price. What I Do know is that, once rigid, baffle-type, insulation, was placed into wall spaces, the noise level, even during the day, went down, by maybe 85%. Odd thing, however. The workers did NOT work, everyday, on the project. Sometimes, they worked only two, to three, days per week. The only thing I knew, for total certainty, was the fact that the person, staying with the tenant moved back with family, at another location. If I had not heard it from a very reliable source, I would not have believed that the ex-tenant was petitioning for return. They were willing to make all kinds of promises, to get back in. This, even after being told that all of their stuff was in the landfill. They even tried to issue false promises that rent would be paid, on-time, IF allowed to return. The court agreed with the landlord, on this. The ONLY way that the tenant would be allowed to return, was after all back rent was paid, as well as the renovations. The back due rent, alone, would cost nearly $4,000. With all the extra renovations, of things the tenant had ripped out, or forced open, the repair bill, for the unit, ended up at $75,000. While the landlord agreed to this, the persons support staff knew that finding such funds would be close to impossible. The tenant had such a LONG, criminal, record, that no one, not even charity, would touch them. Besides, this person was one of those who had been through local charities, so many times, that they were barred from re-applying. Even a federal, hardship, loan, was dismissed. The ex-tenant had no place else to go. As for myself, the ONLY reason why the "hunt" was back on, for me to find another place, was the fact that my support staff were only allowed to operate within the limits of a specific city. If the "top dogs" found out that I was living in a "donut hole" community, I would have lost all services. My own, support staff was thankful that I kept all bills paid, on payday. This would mean that, if my landlord wanted to evict me, they would have to find another reason. While the former tenant was pressed to the max, to find another place to live, my own transition was much more relaxed. My neighbors were not in 1% of the hurry to be rid of me. This is why, with my support staff's aid, we reviewed dozens, of efficiency, and one bedroom, units, all to come up with "Already Rented." No one was certain of what to do when the only place, available, was a full, single family, home. A house, with three bedrooms, upstairs,, and plenty of room. The owner was hoping for a family to move in (and provide more rent). When I asked how much income the house was producing, at the moment, I was told "We could place someone, tomorrow." When I said "Thats fine, but if it is open, next week, consider my offer. It is FIRM." While word had it that my ex-neighbor was housed in a sleeping room, with shared toilet and kitchen, I thought "This is what they deserved. You have to pay rent, to keep a roof over your head." I heard that the ex-tenant complained, mightily, about having to share a bathroom, and kitchen. They claimed that other tenants were "stealing" their food. This is why it was reported that the tenant wanted to move back into their former unit. They even hated the rule about "either you are inside, by a certain time, or you are locked out, until morning." It would be another eighteen months before the landlord would give in. By this time, the place had set, empty, for 35 months. I was cautioned, though: "One police call, of public disturbance, and you are out." I agreed. This is why, the next time I saw my ex-neighbor, and they asked "HOW?" I told them "I keep my bills paid." Now, normally, people, under payee's, stay that way, for six months, then are reviewed. In the case of my ex-neighbor, six months would be extended to a minimum of two years. They HATED the fact that, for every expense that they wanted, they had to ASK the payee. One of the reasons why they were kept, so long, was because their payee would not let them become independent, until they controlled their mouths. The payee had learned, very rapidly, just how foul-mouthed my ex-neighbor could be. This is why my neighbor was handed off to a real "hard-nose" payee. A person, who paid the bills, but refused the tenant even a ride to the grocery store, for supplies. Not until the tenant learned to control their mouth. This is why the trouble-maker pulled some old back packs, and a cart, from a dumpster, then walked to the nearest stores. And, yes, this person was denied a bus pass, after profaning a bus company employee. Now, they had to WALK everywhere. All because of their attitude. While it IS true that my current landlord gave me the worst recommendation, in the world, my new landlord did as I asked, and looked at my residency record. When they called my current landlord, and asked about the dates in question, and why such a "horrible tenant" had been allowed to remain, for so many YEARS, the landlord hung up. This is why my new landlord would say "Lets give it a try." The only "change" I did, to the house, was adding a walkway, to the kitchen door. This way, instead of carrying my bicycle up some dangerous steps, I could wheel it up the ramp. About the only concern, that my support staff had was the fact that, with my second, stimulus check, I had purchased both an "Energy Star" chest freezer, and a close-out model "Energy Star" refrigerator. Unlike my provided refrigerator, which had been re-bult, dozens of times, this unit was only two years old, and plugged in only when shoppers wanted to see the interior. It was on severe price reduction since the store felt that selling it, even at a loss, was better than having to PAY to ship it back. MY old refrigerator, I had placed in a space, off my livingroom. I had it, clearly, marked "PROPERTY OF (my landlord)." My neighbors used their stimulus checks, to pay on bills. Of course, the ex-tenant, when I saw them next, they complained that their worker had sent the entire payment to my landlord. They felt it was a rip-off, that everyone they knew, had done nice things, with their checks, yet they, alone, had been denied even one cent. I must admit that the main place, where I saw this person, was after the public library was re-opened. Once the paranoia, of the "virus" was past, business resumed, and the library re-opened, without much restriction. Since the ex-tenant had no pride, and cared nothing for what people thought, they found it easy to panhandle. While many people suggested that the way the person got their money, now, was by pickpocketting, the problem was that, while the person might have dollars, to eat on, no one could PROVE they had done anything. At least three times, that I knew of, this person also offered me a chance to take part in some "investments". At another point, or two, when they saw my interest, in their current lover, they offered me the person, for the "low" price of $500.00. Now, to be fair, I will add that, both before, and after, the "virus", I had as many as 9 people trying to sell me bicycles, which they had "found". For the low, low price, of just $40, to $50, they were willing to sell me the units. I just made a polite excuse, and rode away. I was not about to buy stolen private property. Once I moved into my new place, I heard word about my old place, and decided to investigate. I found out that, not only were my old neighbors right, about the noise, and trash, but when I saw that the windows were covered, in boards, and was told "They smashed the windows out." The neighbors even showed me how the replacements had ripped the old fridge apart, then dumped it in the rear of the building. What amazed ME was how ALL of the windows were boarded up. Well, that proved that the talk, about the landlord, was correct. They did not care WHO moved in, so long as rent was paid. When I gave my former neighbors my new address, then bid them farewell, I returned to my new address. Here, another neighbor would ask me about my last landlord. It seems that their landlord was doing the same as mine did. That is, except for the fact that my landlord left payments inside the U.S. mail, this landlord was returning rent payments, and taking tenants to court. When the tenants would ask "How would YOU handle this?" I told them "For one thing, stop using personal checks. Use Money orders." When they asked about my last landlord, I told them only the truth. While they thanked me, and departed, it was not long after this, when I learned that my ex-neighbor was under arrest. This time, for Assault and Battery. While they were being charged with Breaking and Entering, and Assault, they told me "While I was off, on errands, my neighbors broke into my room, and stole all of my food. When I got back, and heard what they were eating, then found my door kicked open, that is when I kicked in their door, and stole my stuff back." I knew they were going to mention their previous, criminal, record, and that the police did not believe them. Now, they were going back to court, and, probably, back to prison. Still, I felt no sympathy, for them. After all, if they had only done as all tenants are supposed to, they would have had a decent place to live. With no rent moratorium, to protect them, they would stay in jail, until returned to prison. With their record, they would be lucky to receive parole in about ten years. Still, my former neighbors, and I, watched as the repair crews went about replacing the windows, and so forth. What really angered the landlords was the fact that both the building inspector, and the general contractor, insisted that the original windows were nowhere near "code". The landlords would be charged for modern day windows. They would TRY to charge the last tenant, but these people had been much smarter than my former neighbor. They had "vanished", as in, possibly, having jumped the state border. While my former neighbor had their support try, seven times, to reinstate their Non-Prosecution Order, all seven times, when the judge reviewed the folder, the ruling was the same. Abuse, after abuse, after abuse. Non-Prosecution was designed to protect those who, occassionally, as in, maybe quarterly, or less often, make mistakes. These people cannot be charged. In the end, all my former neighbor could do was bide his time, in prison. When he was released, then he would plan his next move. Until then, he was stuck, in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment